Thursday, November 29, 2007

We Did It!

It’s hard to believe, but we finally have everything moved out of the house and into storage. The process just seemed to go on and on, but it is finally over.

We hauled four more loads (truck and trailer full) to the office and two to Roger’s. Once again, the day was exhausting, but it feels so good to finally be finished. The only things left in the house are the things we will be taking with us on this crazy trip.

Tomorrow, I have several errands to run before we can head out of town. Kim will finish loading our clothes into the RV and when I get back home, I’ll load the last of our stuff into the storage area under the beast. It’s hard to believe, but we’re actually going to be hitting the road tomorrow (barring any unforeseen emergency).

* * * * * * * * * *

It started to snow around 8:30 or 9:00 tonight. At first it was a light dusting, but then it started to get a little more serious. Even though it started to snow more heavily, there was very little wind, so the snow just floated to the ground. It was beautiful.

I don’t have anything against snow. In fact, I like it. The problem I have is with the cold. Unfortunately, the two usually go hand-in-hand. If it would snow when it was 50 or 60 degrees outside, it would be great.

After we had moved the last item into storage and had locked the door, Kim and I stopped for a second and just watched it snow. By that time there was about an inch-and-a-half of the white stuff on the ground. The light behind my office made it just bright enough to enjoy the snowfall without ruining the view. It was very peaceful. At that point, I knew that we were just several hours away from heading south, away from the snow. It felt like the snow was a going away present just for us.

* * * * * * * * * *

Kim and I worked together to move the last four loads of the day. It was nice to spend some time alone with Kim, even if we were moving a bunch of stuff through the snow.

I’ve always been amazed at Kim’s work ethic. We may clash some times over her methods or the way she prioritizes, but I can’t argue with her efforts. She is a hard worker.

Several years ago, before we had kids, I used to race cars. Kim and I would take off for the weekend and go to places like Daytona or Sebring or Road Atlanta. Although racing was a ton of fun, it was also a lot of work.

People were amazed at all of the things Kim would do. She’d change tires, help me bleed the brakes, and work in the pits. She was a real trooper. She looked like a model, but worked like one of the boys. She was, and is, a good looking, hard working woman. (Note to Jerry Holthouse – That last line sounds like it could be a hit. Please include my name on the song credits).

No comments: