Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Week in Review

This past week has been a busy one. We’ve been Christmas shopping, working on the RV (new name still pending), going to the beach, going to see movies, and eating pizza.

My parent’s neighbor, John, has been helping us to get the refrigerator to work right. We haven’t gotten it to work yet, but we’re getting closer. We also got the toilet unplugged (a problem I didn’t share previously), and I sanded and re-painted the stairs.

The kids have been working hard on their school work this week, so we treated them with a trip to the beach. The East Coast of Florida has been experiencing red tide over the past few weeks. The worst of it is north of where we are in St. Lucie County, but when Kim and the kids visited the beach, it was littered with dead jelly fish. Last year, not knowing what it was, Louis picked up a jelly fish and was stung on both hands. He was much more careful this year.

We also went to see two movies this week. On Thursday we went to see the Golden Compass and Friday night we saw National Treasure: Book of Secrets. Kim, Louis and I liked both movies. Shelby liked National Treasure, but didn’t like Golden Compass. She’s not a big fan of fantasy movies.

We had heard that Golden Compass (rated PG-13)was not appropriate for kids, but then last weekend I read that the book had been selected as one of the best books for kids. We decided to find out for ourselves. The story was very inventive and in my opinion was good for kids, but it was pretty violent. There was a lot of killing of people and animals. I don’t have a recommendation either way.

We also found time to visit DaVinci’s Pizza in Port St. Lucie. I’ll post a review soon.

In the meantime, have a very Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey.. I have been following your travel adventures.. thanks so much for the posts. I am now becoming a big road trip planning fanatic.. Im planning my trip throughout the states next year. Everyone describes the East Coast of Florida as spectactular.. did you get any photos of the jelly fish? I have just begun to experiement with some trip planning web sites and I am utilising this site at the moment called Tripwiser which is really cool. How did you go about initially planning your road trip?? Ive decided that sticking a pin on a map is not really a good option ha ha...

Lou Mindar said...

Hi -- Sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm not familar with Tripwiser. When I was planning our trip, I just used a map (or Mapquest) and the websites for the state parks in the various states. I also used www.nps.gov for the National Parks.

At first, I made the mistake of planning on being out west too early. When I realized that we wee planning on being at Yosemite National Park before the snow was gone and the park roads were re-opened, I had to go back to the drawing board. I then researched average temps in the various places we were going and rearranged our trip based on that information.

I knew we weren't going to have time to make it to the Northeast, so I concentrated on the Southeast and out West. I knew we wanted to be back home in Wisconsin in June, and from there it was like putting together a puzzle. We had to cut out some stops because we just weren't going to have time to see everything.

I hope that helps. Thanks for following along.

Anonymous said...

So the toilet was clogged. That's a shocker! I remember one time in Winter Haven. They named it Lou Dip. I can't get it out of my mind.