Saturday, December 15, 2007

Hot Off the Presses: Column #1

In addition to recording our travels here on this blog, I am writing a monthly column in the Kickapoo Free Press, a monthly newspaper/magazine distributed in Southwest Wisconsin. Here is the first column that was printed in the December issue of the paper. In my next post, I'll include the January Column.

Postcards from the Road

Realizing A Lifelong Dream

In 1942, at the age of just 15-years old, California teen John Goddard sat down and wrote out a list of 127 adventures he wanted to achieve during his lifetime. He dubbed the list, “My Life List.” The list of adventures included things like explore the Nile River, study primitive culture in New Guinea, and climb Mt. Everest.

I read about Goddard in 1998 and his story prompted me to make up a life list of my own. By Goddard’s standards, my list included some rather tame adventures. But more important than the intensity or difficulty of the adventures was the fact that I had actually put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and had created my very own “Goddard List.”

One of the 38 adventure goals I set for myself was to someday take my family on an extended cross-country trip in an RV. At the time, I had a three-year old daughter and there didn’t seem to be any rush in realizing my RV dream. There was plenty of time to achieve this cross-country adventure.

Since that time, I’ve had a fairly busy life. We’ve moved five times, had another child, started a business, and I’ve battled cancer. Up until now, I’ve had plenty of excuses not to buy an RV and hit the road. In fact, it’s always easier not to do something than to commit to doing it. If you really want to, you can always find a reason not to do something. Excuses are easy to come by, but making a commitment regardless of the available excuses is a lot harder to do.

Now, nine years after making my Goddard List, with my RV adventure so far unfulfilled, it’s time to make a decision. Either we are going to take the plunge and realize our dream (it became “our” dream a few years ago), or my Goddard List is just going to become a collection of someday wishes. I’ll either be a “doer” in life who makes things happen, or a dreamer who let’s things happen.

In making the decision of whether or not to go on this cross-country trip, there are a lot of things to consider. How will our business fare with both Kim (my wife) and I gone? How will we educate our kids? Do we have the budget to stay out on the road long-term? How will we get our mail? Where will go?

We’ve thought a lot about it. We’ve considered all of the issues and we’ve finally made a decision. We’ve decided to take the plunge. We’ve decided that we would rather take the risk and make the most of the experience than live with the regret of never trying. We’ve made the commitment and we’ve decided that now is the right time to live the adventure.

By the time you read this, assuming everything goes according to plan, we will be living on the road. The plan is to take off on or around Thanksgiving and not come back to Viroqua until June of 2008. I’ll be writing a monthly column chronicling our travels and I hope you’ll follow along. It should be a great ride.

No comments: