Thursday, December 6, 2007

More Problems

Last night was kind of a sleepless night. Our electric stopped working which affected the way the furnaces (we have two) were working. The coach batteries handled the load for a while, but they eventually drained down to where they weren’t working either. I had to get up a couple of times during the night to start the RV to charge the batteries and get the furnaces working right again.

As best I can figure, the electric went off in the park last night. I checked all of our connections and they were all fine. Then, without doing anything, the electric (and the furnaces) were working just fine this morning.

Another problem I hadn’t reported on previously was that the refrigerator wouldn’t work on propane. We’re trying to run it using electric now. The refrigerators in RVs are not especially effective, so we probably won’t know until tomorrow if it is cooling using electric.

Kim and the kids are back at the RV doing school stuff. I’m sitting in a Panera Bread writing this post, but once again, I’m unable to connect to the wi-fi network. It really is crazy that our network is so secure that you can’t log on from any public place. I’ve tried to log on at hotels and several different restaurants and coffee shops, but I’m never able to get a connection.

I’ve called our support people, but the best they’ve been able to do is have me re-boot the computer. When that doesn’t work, they tell me that I need to talk to the wi-fi administrator wherever I am to have them manually force me on to their network. Of course, the people at the wi-fi location don’t know the first thing about their wi-fi network.

Today, someone from our corporate headquarters called me to try to figure out the problem. Her advice was the same as everyone else’s. However, she is going to call the company that provides our Hot Spot Enabler (which is supposed to help us log on to wi-fi networks) to see if they can help. If you are reading this, I guess they helped (or I figured some other way to post this).

Until then, I need to head back to the RV to get the family so we can start our day’s activities.

UPDATE: The problem wasn’t with the electric in the park. Our converter stopped working and our coach batteries were draining. Now, we can use the electric in the motorhome, but we have to start the engine every once in a while to charge the batteries. Oh well, not that big of a deal, but a new converter costs about $250. Just add it to the list of things we have to get done once we hit Florida.

No comments: