Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Review: DaVinci's Pizzeria

I read an Internet review about DaVinci’s Pizzeria (U.S. 1 in Port St. Lucie, FL) and had high hopes for the place. My first impression wasn’t so good. The plaza where DaVinci’s is located is a bit run down and DaVinci’s sits between a Curves and a closed down used bookstore. The obligatory pawn shop is just two doors down.

Once inside the front door (the wooden front door), everything changed. The first thing that greeted us were photos of the owner and his family dating back to his days in Italy. And best of all, the owner, Vitorio, was in the restaurant.

We started our evening with garlic knots. They were delicious, buttery and covered with plenty of garlic.

We ordered two pizzas; a sausage and mushroom for Kim and me, and a cheese pie for Shelby and Lou. Although I had high hopes, the pizza at DaVinci’s let me down. The sauce was good, but there wasn’t enough of it (a common complaint I have of New York-style pizzas). They also skimped a bit on the cheese.

The sausage was sliced (as opposed to ground or chunked). We found out that it is the same sausage that DaVinci’s uses with their sausage and peppers. In my book, that’s a no-no.

Overall, the pizza was okay, but nothing great. I’d give it a 5 on a 1-10 scale.

No comments: