Sunday, October 28, 2007

Review: Mabe's Pizza

NOTE: During our great big road trip, we will be looking for the best pizza places in the U.S. We're starting our search a little early with a visit to Mabe's Pizza.

**********

I had heard good things about Mabe’s Pizza in Decorah, IA. Several websites I’ve run across sing the praises of Mabe’s, so I finally decided that I need to try it for myself.

Mabe’s is located at 110 E. Water St. in downtown Decorah. Decorah is a very quaint little town. We got there at about 6:00 pm on a Saturday night. I wish we had gotten there earlier to spend some time looking around.

We ordered two pizzas; a regular (sausage & pepperoni) with extra cheese and a barbeque chicken pizza. Unfortunately, they mixed our order up a little bit and put the extra cheese on the barbeque chicken pizza. Oh well. Other than this one slip-up, the service was pretty good.

The barbeque chicken pizza was very good, although the extra cheese made it a bit heavy for the thin crust. The sauce was tasty and the chicken was tender white meat.

The regular was good, but not great. It was slightly undercooked for my tastes. Kim thought the crust was fine, but it was a bit soft in my opinion and it had too much flour left on the bottom of the crust. This made the pizza rather dry.

Mabe's crust is thin, but not crunchy. Although I wasn't crazy about it, it was consistent from pizza to pizza.

On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mabe’s a 6 (slightly above average). Having read several reviews of the place, my expectations were pretty high. Unfortunately, I was a little bit disappointed. The pizza was good, but I had hoped for more.

3 comments:

Chris and Jeff said...

Hi - I was interested in seeing your post about Mabes. You actually ordered my favorite pizza (the regular with extra cheese). The bottom of the crust is really floury, but I can't help myself.. I have to get a Mabes pizza every time I go home to Decorah. I usually take one or two half-baked pizzas home for freezing and enjoying Mabes at a later time. Good Luck with rest of search for good pizza places. I have a good one in Springfield, IL if I only knew the name. :)

Chris
Palatine, IL

KenJ said...

What made you think that you could get good pizza in Iowa?

Lou Mindar said...

Ken -- You bring up a good point. I would not expect to find exceptional pizza in Iowa, but I had heard from a few different sources that Mabe's in Decorah was really good. Since it was relatively close, I thought we'd give it a try. It was good, but not exceptional.