Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Big Rolling Turd (and other news)

Our new RV is being called The Big Rolling Turd by everyone now. As you may know, that is the nickname that they gave to the motorhome in the movie “RV.” I don’t like it and I think our RV deserves a more dignified name. I’ll live with The Big Rolling Turd for now, but once we put in new carpet, deodorize the inside, and finally hit the road, I’m going to petition for a new name.

**********

I put the leveling jacks down for the first time the other day and I broke off the retracting spring on the right rear jack. Now I have to figure out where to get a new spring. Just add it to the list of things that need to be done before we leave.

**********

I had lunch with Anne O’Connor, editor of the Kickapoo Free Press (our local monthly newspaper) and I told her about our upcoming trip. She thinks the idea is very cool and would like to include a monthly update from the road in the paper. I like the idea because it will give me a chance to write for publication and it will help me to keep up with my efforts to chronicle our whole trip. The first update will be in the December issue.

**********

Anne’s husband, Joe Hart, has agreed to edit Lake of the Falls, my book of short stories. That is so cool. Joe is a very accomplished writer and I’m looking forward to working with him. The book is so far past the original publication date that I hate to even guess when it might be published. I’m hoping to have it published by next summer, but we’ll see.

**********

We’re going to pick out new carpet for The Big Rolling Turd today. Installing carpet in an RV is a bit of a specialty and we’ve only found one company in the greater La Crosse area that does it. Hopefully, they are not ridiculously expensive. We’ll know later today.

No comments: